Ingredients for Whole Smoked Turkey
- 12 to 14-pound turkey, prepared as directed above.
- 2 TBS dried thyme
- 1 TBS powdered sage
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1-1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp onion or garlic powder (optional)
- Zest of 1/2 an orange
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup water
- Apple or pecan wood chips
Cooking Instructions for Whole Smoked Turkey
- Preheat the smoker to approx 225˚F.
- In a little bowl, combine all the dry herbs and flavors. Rub the inside pit of the turkey with 1/3 of the dry seasonings.
- Include the EVOO and orange get-up-and-go to the remainder of the seasonings and rub everywhere throughout the outside of your fresh turkey.
- Spot the water and apple juice in the water container in the base of the smoker, filling it just most of the way. Spot a dribble container on the rear rack over the water skillet to gather drippings from the turkey. Fill the side cabinet with the wood chips.
- Fold the wing tips firmly underneath the turkey. Spot the prepared turkey on the center rack of the smoker, close the entryway, and set a clock for roughly 6.5 hours. The turkey should smoke for 30 to 40 minutes for every pound until within temperature arrives at 165˚F.
- Check each hour for the smoke. Include wood chips on the off chance that you don’t perceive any smoke. Start checking the inside temperature of the winged creature following 3 hours and like clockwork with a precise meat thermometer. Then again, utilize the computerized test thermometer that accompanied your smoker.
- Evacuate the cooked turkey to a slicing board and enable it to rest for at least 20 minutes to 2 hours before cutting.
for some awesome recipe books check out this link